Requiring orthodontic work is typically regarded as a noteworthy milestone not just in an individual’s personal life but in their oral health journey too. Orthodontic services can be provided to patients in a few different ways thanks to contemporary dental advancements; no matter what type of adjustments you need to make to your smile, we’ll be able to assist you!
Contact our Irvine orthodontic clinic today to learn more about this process.
What Does Orthodontic Work Treat?
Orthodontics is considered a dental specialty; this form of oral health care is all about identifying and effectively treating crooked teeth and irregular jaw patterns. Such measures often cross the lines over into cosmetic and restorative dentistry as well. If you’re experiencing temporomandibular stress, facial growth, or problems with your bite, an orthodontist near you will be able to help remedy these issues.
Signs You or Your Child May Need Orthodontics
For most of us, we aren’t overly familiar with the ins and outs of dentistry, it can be difficult to recognize when we may need to seek out advanced care. To help you and your family out in this regard, outlined below are some of the most common signs and symptoms that orthodontic work may be necessary:
- Problems eating, specifically biting and chewing. This is often due to crooked teeth, or the fact your upper and lower jaws are unaligned.
- Bruxism (grinding and clenching your teeth while sleeping).
- Breathing more through your mouth than your nose. Did you know that mouth breathing can impact the growth of a child’s teeth and facial development?
- Thumb-sucking. This can lead to crowding. While such a habit is common in toddlers, if your child doesn’t stop after 4 years of age, you may want to visit an Irvine orthodontist.
- Overcrowding or impacted teeth.
- The clicking or shifting of your jaw when you move it. This is an obvious sign that they’re out of alignment.
- Erratic loss of baby teeth. Such also includes losing baby teeth too early or tooth late. This is important to keep an eye on because our baby teeth ultimately impact how our mature teeth can erupt.
If you or your young one is dealing with any of the things above, or you simply have further questions, don’t hesitate to contact our local Irvine orthodontic clinic! We’ll put you in touch with one of our staff who will be happy to help you out.
Book an Initial Consultation
Before you choose to receive any form of dental health care, particularly advanced dental care, you must attend a one-on-one session with your orthodontist. Often, your general dentist will be able to refer you to someone when you come in seeking this form of treatment.
They will conduct a detailed physical examination of your oral cavity and take x-rays after; this is done because it allows them to identify the true degree of restoration that you need to get your smile nice and healthy again.
Next, they will discuss your past medical and dental history with you and what your preferences and expectations are moving forward. Don’t worry if you’re unsure what type of orthodontic treatment is best for you; they will recommend the best course of action for you, and you’ll be able to pepper them with as many queries as you like.
Once you’ve obtained the go-ahead, you can get started booking an official appointment to have impressions made of your teeth. These are taken to a dental lab and used to generate customized braces, whether traditional, ceramic, lingual, or Invisalign trays.
It’s wise to keep in mind that, even though orthodontics is indeed a costly endeavor, it is also a long-term investment that will improve both your and your child’s oral health, overall health, and self-esteem.
So, are you interested in learning more about such processes? Give our Irvine orthodontist a call today! Our staff is here to help you find a time that works best with you and your family’s busy schedule. We can’t wait to work with all of you soon!