With summer 2018 right around the corner, our staff at Irvine Orthodontics and Children’s Dentistry want to remind all our young patients about the importance of reading. Sure it’s easy to keep putting off reading this time of year, but reading during the summer is a vital step in brain development and warding off the dreaded “summer slide.” Plus, it’s fun!
What’s on YOUR summer reading list? What are some of your all-time favorites? Out of ideas for great summer reads? Ask us for suggestions, we’d be more than happy to provide a few suggestions. You may also ask a local librarian for some ideas or check out these summer reading ideas that we came across, courtesy of Barnes & Noble.
Happy reading from all of us! Be sure to share with us your summer picks or your all-time favorites on our Facebook page!
Summer is right around the corner, and for many of us, that means it’s time to take a vacation.
For those of us in braces, being on vacation also brings up the thought of “what do I do if something happens with my braces while I am on vacation?”
The most common things to occur while in orthodontic treatment is to have a loose wire or a broken bracket. Some people go through their entire treatment time and never break a bracket, while others are more susceptible to having a bracket break more than once. If you break a bracket on any normal day, you can simply call our office and schedule an appointment to come in and have your bracket fixed. But what happens if you’re on vacation?
Here are some simple tips to guide you through your vacation to help prevent compromising on your comfort:
- Avoid eating hard foods – they loosen, break, and bend wires and bands! ex: popcorn, apples, chewing on ice cubes.
- Avoid sticky foods – like taffy, caramels, and other types of candy.
- Don’t be too aggressive when brushing your teeth – incorrectly brushing your teeth or brushing too vigorously can cause the brackets to loosen or break. Make sure when you’re brushing that you hold your toothbrush at a 45 degree angle to the gums and use gentle back and forth tooth-wide strokes.
If you happen to break a bracket and do not have access to your orthodontist you can follow these steps:
- Assess the extent of your broken bracket and control the issue – Did the bracket fall off? Is there a wire sticking out? If the bracket is still attached to your tooth, you can use wax to place onto the bracket to hold it in place until you are able to visit your orthodontist. If there is a wire sticking out, you can gently use the end of a pencil eraser or a cotton swab tip to move/ tuck it back into place, or you can clip it by very carefully using nail clippers as close as possible to your teeth and use wax over the wire to prevent it from cutting the inside of your mouth or cheeks.
- Rinse your mouth regularly – If there is any type of cut or irritation, you can use a salt water rinse or professional mouth rinse to promote healing,
- Call your Orthodontist to book an appointment – Drs. Tarek Abousheta and Bahar Ghafouri will want to see you as soon as you’re back from your vacation to fix your broken bracket or loose wire. Be sure to contact us by phone at 949-786-7800 or on our website by submitting an online Appointment Request.
A broken bracket does not mean an orthodontic emergency, but we do want you to be as comfortable as possible so you can enjoy your vacation and not have a pesky wire or broken bracket interfere with your fun!!
Be sure to ask us at your next appointment for wax to bring on vacation with you so you can be prepared in the event you need it!
We’re proud to introduce our new mobile app to you, My Orthodontist.
If you’re a current patient of our office, please, Download the all new My Orthodontist app NOW!
Available for both iPhone AND Android Just download, follow instructions and gain access to your account to securely view photos, xrays, appointments, payments and more!
Irvine Orthodontics is so excited to offer our patients a modern way to stay up to date and informed. Welcome to the new Irvine Orthodontics and Children’s Dentistry!
If you are a patient of Dr. Tarek Abousheta, Dr. Bahar Ghafouri, Dr. Ronald Jawor, or Dr. Susan Do and would like to find out more information on how to gain access to your patient information please contact our office at (949) 786-7800 and we will be happy to assist.
Welcome to the new Irvine Orthodontics and Children’s Dentistry! We are excited to present our new company logo to you!…
Our Mission Statement reflects our forward-thinking approach and what it means to provide advanced care to each of you:
“We are leaders, pioneers, and innovators in Orthodontics and Pediatric Dentistry, utilizing evidence-based treatment and cutting-edge technologies. We deliver the highest level of service with integrity to our community in a progressive, fun, and inviting environment.”
As advanced specialists in Orthodontics and Pediatric Dentistry, our mindset is focused on integrating the best technology with precision and proficiency. We are modern, fresh and innovative! Thank you for being an integral part of our journey.
Ask us about our mobile app and keep a lookout for our new website, soon to follow… Stay Tuned!